Learn about using container profiles to optimize spend and performance
🏳️ Modifiable Container Profiles are only available on the Enterprise plan.
Aptible offers three Container Profiles with unique CPU-to-RAM ratios and sizes. Container Profiles provide flexibility and cost-optimization by allowing users to select the workload-appropriate Profile.
The General Purpose Container Profile is available by default in all stacks. Whereas CPU and RAM Optimized Container Profiles are only available in dedicated stacks.
Types of Container Profiles
The Container Profiles currently available are as follows:
- General Purpose: The default Container Profile, which works well for most use cases.
- CPU Optimized: For CPU-constrained workloads, this Profile provides high-performance CPUs and more CPU per GB of RAM.
- RAM Optimized: For memory-constrained workloads, this Profile provides more RAM for each CPU allocated to the Container.
|RAM per CPU
|1/4 CPU : 1GB RAM
|4GB / CPU
|1/8 CPU : 1GB RAM
|8GB / CPU
|1/2 CPU : 1GB RAM
|2GB / CPU
Expect to find the following memory-to-CPU ratios for a Container with the General Purpose Profile, for example:
The number of CPUs per unit of RAM is fixed for each Container Profile.
Default Container Profile
Modifying Container Profiles
Container Profiles can only be modified from the Aptible Dashboard when scaling the app/service or database. The Container Profile will take effect upon restart.
Supported Availability Zones
It is important to note that not all container profiles are available in every AZ, whether for app or database containers. In the event that this occurs during a scaling operation:
- App Containers: Aptible will handle the migration of app containers to an AZ that supports the desired container profile seamlessly and with zero downtime, requiring no additional action from the user.
- Database Containers: However, for database containers, Aptible will prevent the scaling operation and log an error message, indicating that it is necessary to move the database to a new AZ that supports the desired container profile. This process requires a full disk backup and restore but can be easily accomplished using Aptible's 1-click "Database Restart + Backup + Restore.” It is important to note that this operation will result in longer downtime and completion time than typical scaling operations. For more information on resolving this error, including expected downtime, please refer to our troubleshooting guide.