How to integrate Aptible with CI Platforms
At a high level, integrating Aptible with your CI platform boils down to the following steps:
- Create a robot User in Aptible for your CI platform.
- Trigger a deploy to Aptible whenever your CI process completes. How you do this depends on how you're deploying to Aptible:
Creating a Robot User
- Invite a new user to this Robots role. This user needs to have an actual email address. You can use something like
- Log out of your Aptible account, accept the invitation you received for the robot user by email, and create a password for the robot user.
- Generate an SSH key pair for the robot user using
ssh-keygen -f deploy.pem. Don't set a password for the key.
- Register the SSH Public Key with Aptible for the robot user.
Triggering a Deploy
Most CI platforms expose a form of "after-success" hook you can use to trigger a deploy to Aptible after your tests have passed. You'll need to use it to trigger a deploy to Aptible by running
git push. For the
git push to work, you'll also need to provide your CI platform with the SSH key you created for your robot user. To that end, most CI platforms let you provide encrypted files to store in your repository.
Direct Docker Image Deploy
To deploy with Direct Docker Image Deploy:
- Build and publish a Docker Image when your build succeeds.
- Install the Aptible CLI in your CI environment.
- Log in as the robot user, and use
aptible deployto trigger a deploy to Aptible.