(a) An entity may obtain an Other Entity Identifier (OEID) to identify itself if the entity meets all of the following:
(1) Needs to be identified in a transaction for which the Secretary has adopted a standard under this part.
(2) Is not eligible to obtain an HPID.
(3) Is not eligible to obtain an NPI.
(4) Is not an individual.
(b) An OEID must be obtained from the Enumeration System identified in § 162.508.
(c) Uses for the OEID.
(1) An other entity may use the OEID it obtained from the Enumeration System to identify itself or have itself identified on all covered transactions in which it needs to be identified.
(2) The OEID may be used for any other lawful purpose.
§ 162.512: Implementation specifications: Health plans
§ 162.600: Compliance dates of the implementation of the standard unique employer identifier