(a) A covered entity that is a covered health care provider must:
(1) Obtain, by application if necessary, an NPI from the National Provider System (NPS) for itself or for any subpart of the covered entity that would be a covered health care provider if it were a separate legal entity. A covered entity may obtain an NPI for any other subpart that qualifies for the assignment of an NPI.
(2) Use the NPI it obtained from the NPS to identify itself on all standard transactions that it conducts where its health care provider identifier is required.
(3) Disclose its NPI, when requested, to any entity that needs the NPI to identify that covered health care provider in a standard transaction.
(4) Communicate to the NPS any changes in its required data elements in the NPS within 30 days of the change.
(5) If it uses one or more business associates to conduct standard transactions on its behalf, require its business associate(s) to use its NPI and other NPIs appropriately as required by the transactions that the business associate(s) conducts on its behalf.
(6) If it has been assigned NPIs for one or more subparts, comply with the requirements of paragraphs (a)(2) through (a)(5) of this section with respect to each of those NPIs.
(b) An organization covered health care provider that has as a member, employs, or contracts with, an individual health care provider who is not a covered entity and is a prescriber, must require such health care provider to–
(1) Obtain an NPI from the National Plan and Provider Enumeration System (NPPES); and
(2) To the extent the prescriber writes a prescription while acting within the scope of the prescriber’s relationship with the organization, disclose the NPI upon request to any entity that needs it to identify the prescriber in a standard transaction.
(c) A health care provider that is not a covered entity may obtain, by application if necessary, an NPI from the NPS.
[69 FR 3468, Jan. 23, 2004, as amended at 77 FR 54719, Sept. 5, 2012]
§ 162.408: National Provider System
§ 162.412: Implementation specifications: Health plans